CrossFit Crowd

CrossFit Crowd

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
May 1, 2014
Filed under Health-E

Whether you think CrossFit is awesome or worse... Read more »

Do you need a pre-workout?

Do you need a pre-workout?

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
April 24, 2014
Filed under Health-E

Lately, I’ve been asked what... Read more »

Searching for Supplements

Searching for Supplements

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
April 10, 2014
Filed under Health-E

Whether it’s a sorority girl taking b-complex vitamins for hair growth or a freshman male experimenting with the newest creatine so he can attract that sorority girl, dietary supplements are not uncommon among college students. There is no shortage of options when we search online or venture to... Read more »

Should women lift weights?

Should women lift weights?

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
April 3, 2014
Filed under Health-E

A woman enters a weight room and sees manly sweat, big muscles and protruding veins. Not exactly the look she wants to see in the mirror. Culturally, this creates the idea that lifting weights is only for men looking to build muscle, but is this true? The primary concern with females and lifting is... Read more »

Not-So-Newsworthy

Not-So-Newsworthy

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
March 27, 2014
Filed under Health-E

Whether it’s Dr. Oz promoting the newest herbal supplement or “60 Minutes” reporting on the dangers of sugar, the general population is quick to eat up health information from the news. I get it, it’s easier to watch a three-minute report than to read research papers, but do you really think... Read more »

Body Wrap Behavior

Body Wrap Behavior

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
March 6, 2014
Filed under Health-E

What if all those hours of hard work in the gym and mindful food choices were all for nothing? What if you could engulf yourself with special wraps and skip the nonsense of diet and exercise? Enter body wraps. The protocol includes tightly wrapping areas of one’s body with hot bandages (think... Read more »

Politics of Processed Food

Politics of Processed Food

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
February 27, 2014
Filed under Health-E

If you’ve heard the saying, “Don’t eat it if you can’t pronounce the ingredients,” then you may be surprised that all-natural bananas contain 3-methylbutyl 1-ethanoate, which sound like chemicals from Breaking Bad. Processed foods are typically seen as a no-no for healthy diets, but this... Read more »

Dorm Room Fitness

Dorm Room Fitness

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
February 20, 2014
Filed under Health-E

There is a misconception that good workouts must be accompanied by fancy equipment. It’s also not true that it takes hours every day to improve fitness. Sometimes, life happens. That hour we allocated to the gym vanishes. Don’t be discouraged by these obstacles. A quality workout – especially... Read more »

Socially Awkward Media

Socially Awkward Media

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
February 13, 2014
Filed under Health-E

We’ve all had that moment when we grab our phone and navigate our way through our Twitter feed only to realize we had no good reason to do so – the whole process was on auto-pilot. We visit Facebook, just to check our messages, but see that laughing baby Vine, a new photo album and must read all... Read more »

Health Food Halo

Health Food Halo

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
February 6, 2014
Filed under Health-E

As you stroll down the grocery store aisles, it’s impossible to ignore the copious amounts of “health foods” – organic cookies, fat-free ranch and sugar-free ice cream – just to name a few. At first glance, it seems like these items would be saviors for those trying to lose weight. Who doesn’t... Read more »

Healthy Hornets: Alcohol, Health and Athletic Performance

Greg Farris, Health Columnist
January 22, 2014
Filed under Health-E

This is college. Alcohol is a part of the culture. Drinking on football game days, for a friend’s 21st birthday and even on some random Thursday nights is the norm. It’s no secret that alcohol consumption by college students is typically abused. What may be more surprising is that alcohol can be... Read more »