ASG addresses KBOR social media policy

ASG addresses KBOR social media policy

Jennifer Pendarvis

Sheryl Lidzy, associate professor of communication, and Marissa Germann, ASG vice president and senior marketing major, shares concerns about the Kansas Board of Regents’ new social networking policy that now affects teachers and may affect students down the line. Lidzy talked about a form that can be filled out to help fight this policy that recently went into effect.

Associated Student Government called their first meeting of the semester to order Jan. 23 in the Senate Chamber. Student representatives discussed their concerns about the Kansas Board of Regent’s recent social media policy and began working on a resolution echoing the sentiment of the Faculty Senate’s resolution passed Jan. 14.

Sheryl Lidzy, president of Faculty Senate and associate professor of communication, was present to talk about the issue.

“ESU faculty have expressed strong concerns regarding the improper use of social media policy and believe it infringes on academic freedom and First Amendment rights,” Lidzy said.

Racheal Countryman, president of ASG and senior communication major, said students also see KBOR’s social media use policy as problematic. She said the students and faculty are united in opposition to this policy.

“KBOR’s social media policy amendment could set a precedent for limiting student discussion about the university over social media,” Countryman said.

Josh Wallace, junior communication major and ASG senator, said ASG will have a reading of their resolution at their next meeting, which is tonight at 5 p.m. in the Senate Chamber in the Memorial Union.

ASG will join associated student governments from other Kansas universities Feb. 11-12 at the capitol building in Topeka. Student government representatives will be speaking with Kansas legislators and representatives about issues regarding higher education.

Wallace said opportunities like this provide student governments with a means of “putting a bug in the ear” of those in the capitol building, such as lobbying against budget cuts on education.

“We get the opportunity to talk about the budget cuts and how they will affect our university and the students,” Wallace said.

ASG also welcomed two new senators representing graduate education, Richard Sandtrom, graduate history student, and Thomas Richardson, graduate library and information management student.

Wallace said ASG also had the first reading of an RSO bill that would officially start the new ESU International Club.

Josiah D’ Albini, ASG senator and senior sociology major, said RSOs looking to apply for fund allocation need to have their allocation packets completed and turned in by 5 p.m. Feb. 12 at the Center for Student Involvement front desk in the Memorial Union.

TestFull-Width