Hauke announces retirement from VP of fiscal affairs

Alex Hammerschmidt

Ray Hauke, vice president of Administration and Fiscal Affairs, works in his office Jan. 24 in Plumb Hall. Hauke will be retiring this June after 16 years of working at Emporia State.

After 16 years of working at Emporia State, Ray Hauke, vice president of administration and fiscal affairs, announced that he will be retiring this June. During his employment at ESU, he spearheaded several campaigns for campus improvements and additions, including the Recreational Center and the recent Memorial Union remodeling.

“There were a lot of fun experiences working with him,” said Diana Kuhlmann, associate president of fiscal affairs and director of the budget office.

Kuhlmann said in everything Hauke does, he “always puts the students first.”

Hauke has also worked with the Kansas Board of Regents. He said his work with KBOR usually consisted of “planning, budgeting and legislative research.”

“We’ve gone through some pretty significant fiscal time periods with the state,” Kuhlmann said. “We worked together with the campus on readjusting our budget over the years as our state altered its financial support.”

Working on the Memorial Union remodeling was one of the most fun projects Hauke said he worked on during his time at ESU.

“It involved a lot of work with students,” Hauke said.

The first major construction project Hauke spearheaded was the Recreation Center in 2001.

“It winds up being a different thing every time,” Hauke said. “Most of our projects here involve working with students, donor funds and bonds.”

Hauke’s knowledge about Kansas and ESU are part of the reason Kuhlmann said she enjoyed working with Hauke so much.

“I feel that I have learned so much from him,” Kuhlmann said.

Kuhlmann said Hauke spearheaded the new Campus Master Plan, which will “lay the framework for the physical appearance of the campus and address some of the issues we experience in the next ten to twenty years.”

“It’s been fun working with him,” said Lisa Moritz, ESU legal assistant. “Everyone else here really enjoyed working with him.”

Hauke said he is optimistic about the future of ESU and believes there will be an increase in donor funds in the future. In a little over a year, donors have already pledged over $24 million.

But Hauke said that he will miss all of the people and all of the excitement going on at ESU the most.

“Campus is an exciting place to be,” Hauke said. “I’m definitely going to miss all of that.”