Filed under Sports Shorts, Track

Track earns first, third place finishes at UCM

The Emporia State men and women’s track teams traveled to Warrensburg, Mo. for the United States Track & Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Division II Meet of the Week, where the women placed first and the men placed third overall.

Nikki Wetstein, last week’s MIAA Women’s Track Athlete of the Week, broke her own school record in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.56 seconds, a provisional qualifying time that is ranked sixth in the U.S.

Maggie Wilson, junior pole vaulter, was also a provisional qualifier, at the height of 11-07.75 feet, placing sixth at the meet. The ladies had five event champions and three provisional qualifiers.

The men’s side was led by Ryan Dickson, Payson Maydew and Duke Tibbs. Dickson placed second in the 200m hurdles, with a provisional qualifying time of 22.29 seconds. Maydew won the 60m hurdles with a personal best of 8.45 seconds. Tibbs won the 400m run with a time of 49.80 seconds, missing the provisional time by .01 seconds.

The Hornets are taking several relay teams down to Missouri Southern this weekend. The full team will return to Warrensburg Feb. 7-8 for the UCM Mule Relays.