Filed under Breaking News, News

Discontinuation hearings Thursday, Friday

Public hearings for seven Emporia State majors or programs under review for discontinuance will be held during the afternoons on Thursday and Friday in the Memorial Union Ballroom. The hearings, before the Faculty Senate Academic Affairs Committee, will begin at 3 p.m. each day. The schedule, as announced by Faculty Senate President Sheryl Lidzy, is as follows:

Thursday — French and German Concentrations, Modern Languages; BS, Information Resource Studies; and MS, Instructional Leadership.

Friday — BA/BS, Physical Science; MAT, Social Science; BA/BS, Social Science; and BS, Finance.

The defenders of each program will have 10 minutes in which to present evidence and supporting materials to the committee, followed by five minutes of questioning from faculty senators. The hearings are part of a process that began Jan. 28, when official notice of program discontinuance was received by the Faculty Senate. The process is outlined in the university policy manual.

David Cordle, academic provost, recommended ending thee programs in response to a Kansas Board of Regents standards for programs at public universities, which call for a five-year average enrollment of 25 undergraduate students and 10 graduate students. The programs under review did not meet these average recommendations, he said.

The timetable for the discontinuance process, according to Lidzy, includes a report from the committee to be delivered to the Faculty Senate on Feb. 18. By March 4, the Faculty Senate must vote on the discontinuances, and that vote and associated recommendation will go forward to the administration.

President Michael Shonrock will have the final decision on whether or not to continue the programs.

For more, read the full story in this Thursday’s edition of the The Bulletin.