$360,000 donated to Trusler Sports Complex, School of Business

Alex Hammerschmidt

Emporia State received three gifts totaling $360,000 for the School of Business and Athletic Department including $235,000 from the City of Emporia to repave the Trusler Sports Complex parking lot. The Athletics Department also plans to renovate the visitor’s dugout and build a permanent ticket booth at the complex this year.

Emporia State is very appreciative of the gift money received from Trusler foundation and the City of Emporia totaling $360,000 for the improvements of Trusler Sports Complex and the School of Business. The Trusler Sports Complex will have a new visitor’s dugout and ticket booth and has already completed repaving the parking lot.

The Trusler foundation was created in 1991 once the Truslers passed away. It contains several million dollars instructed to use for area youth, Emporia youth and economic growth.

Kent Weiser, athletic director of ESU, said, “We would always work with the Trusler foundation over the past 15 years when we wanted to do major improvements.”

The School of Business will use the money to increase advertisement of the university through marketing techniques.

“The $100,000 from the Trusler Foundations was really inspired by Dale and Carolyn Davis whom gave the school $100,000 earlier this fall to promote and market the school,” said John Rich, professor and director of Student Affairs and Alumni. “They believe this school doesn’t receive enough recognition across the state as it should be,

With the focus of bringing more of a variety of different students onto campus this will help with connecting ESU to a different segment, the business entrepreneurial area and possibly other areas as well.

“When so many people think of Emporia State, they think of the Teachers College,” Rich said. “Though their desire is not to do anything to harm the teachers college, but they do want more people to realize we have a very strong business school and raise this awareness across the state and region.”

The Trusler foundation also donated $25,000 to the sports complex for the ticket booth and visitors’ dugout. This was an improvement they have been wanting for a while.

Currently, tickets and admission to the games are set up at a table or tent, which is not ideal for a more professional looking complex. Completing these two additions will finish off the improvements to ESU’s home baseball and softball fields.

“The new dugouts and ticket booth will provide a positive first impression to our fans and visitors and make their day at the ball park even more enjoyable,” said Don Weast, assistant athletic director for media relations.

The other large project of repaving Trusler Sports Complex recognizes the City of Emporia for gift money of $235,000.

“The City of Emporia stepped in and offered the money because we use that complex a bunch during the summer and spring for tournaments, little league and adult leagues, and it’s the first impression people have when they come to the stadiums,” Weiser said.