Filed under Columns

Movies Gone Foul

Movies Gone Foul

It’s pretty awkward when you’re watching a movie with your parents and you see their jaws drop with disbelief as the actor on screen drops the f-bomb three or more times in a sentence.

Every time I suspect a movie in theaters of being good, it usually turns out to be absolutely awful. Either the plot line is poor, the actors are cheap and impassionate about their roles or the language is vile and not meant for human consumption. I was embarrassed even to be seen watching a movie with content so vulgar that the film’s meaning became incoherent.

“The Wolf of Wall Street” is a film based on a true story – so it is automatically good, right? It’s about a New York stockbroker who runs a firm that engages in security fraud on Wall Street in the 1990s. The popular website, gives the film 8.6 stars out of 10, even though the movie promiscuously promotes illegal drug use, sex in the workplace and inspiring a group of co-workers with acts of indecency.

Times have changed and it is becoming more and more difficult to monitor media influences. Do you really want a film like this to influence your child’s attitude or personality? My little sister, for instance, loves Katy Perry and every time I ask her what she wants to be when she grows up she always replies with the same answer, “A rock star like Katy Perry because she’s on TV!”

When a little boy sees an older man making money hand over fist in an easy but immoral kind of way, who do you think his role model for the week is? That vile rich man on TV, of course. The difference between right and wrong for a child, and even one in the adolescent stage, can be very confusing, which makes them impressionable and vulnerable to negative influences. I asked myself the question, “If you are so determined to keep your younger sister from watching a movie, should you really be watching it?”

We are the role models that our siblings and children look up to. It is our responsibility to instruct and groom the next generation, helping them to become moral and responsible citizens. Next time you turn on the TV or decide to watch a movie, stop and consider who else might be watching, and how you or the other individual might be affected.