Social Positive

Social Positive

How many can say the President of their university has tweeted at them? Students at Emporia State can.

ESU has been doing a fabulous job at utilizing the social media website that is slowly changing communication and possibly the world – Twitter. Twitter handles and hashtags are featured just about anywhere from brochures, TV shows, movie previews, pages of magazines and more. Who knew this site could connect people in such a way that is a boost to our school spirit, pride, and community?

It seems that ESU has been a spearhead for reaching potential students and also connecting to the students we already have. The admissions department has been active on Twitter this past year and they are just now noticing other schools finally doing the same.

Through the various university Twitter accounts, incoming freshmen are getting excited and posting about ESU. It is a contagious excitement that makes current students proud to be a Hornet. Next year’s freshman class is already connecting with other new students even before they move into town. This can ease those coming-to-college jitters we get. Twitter is a great tool for our current Hornets, administration and alums to welcome the new class and make them feel like part of the family.

Not only has Twitter made an impact on our recruitment, but has done an outstanding job for our athletics. Now students can keep up to date with scores, games and matches even when they can’t attend. Teams can also create and maintain an identity such as the football team’s slogan of “Brick By Brick, We’re Not Done” that became their mantra last season. #StingersUp even won a Division II Twitter hashtag contest.

Twitter may even be a factor in building our future retention rates because it has boosted our community, spirit and pride in a way that makes people want to stay. Now students feel more connected – like ESU really can be a home away from home – and it has given us a place to have a voice with our administration and among our peers.