Filed under Briefs

Sesquicentennial closes with a bash

The celebration of Emporia State’s 150th anniversary comes to a close this Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14-15, with two events that echo the kickoff to the sesquicentennial a year ago.

On Friday, students, faculty and staff can pay $5 to attend the annual Founders’ Day luncheon at 11:30 a.m. in Webb Hall in the Memorial Union. President Michael Shonrock will speak and announce the two recipients of the 1863 Scholarships. Susan Brinkman, assistant director of the Center for Great Plains Studies, and Steven Hanschu, instructor of university libraries and archives, will give a presentation about their photography exhibit for the anniversary. Tickets for the luncheon are available at the Memorial Union Ticket Office.

On Saturday evening, a gala marking the exit of the “150” theme at ESU will start at 6 p.m. in Webb Hall. Registration for the event closed Tuesday, and individual tickets cost $100. The evening’s program will include a cocktail and four course dinner, and feature the Emporia Symphony Orchestra and the ESU Jazz Ensemble.