KBOR, allocations, upcoming elections topics at ASG meeting

Unanimously, Associated Student Government passed both a resolution advising for the suspension of the Kansas Board of Regents social media policy and a bill officially recognizing the Emporia State Model United Nations club on Thursday, Feb. 6.

The resolution, which calls for the suspension of KBOR’s recent social media policy amendment, echoes the sentiment of faculty senate’s KBOR resolution.

“The social media policy infringes upon the freedom of expression guaranteed by the First Amendment and whereas the social media policy infringes the essential principles of academic freedom and shared governance,” said Kate Dorian, ASG senator and freshman mathematics major, in a reading of the resolution.

Senate Bill 14022 was also passed unanimously, officially recognizing the ESU Model United Nations club. Nizomiddin Kuchkarov, junior political science major and president of the Model United Nations club, spoke to ASG about the club.

“It is a simulation of United Nations assemblies,” Kuchkarov said. “Students will represent different countries and discuss global issues.”

Two new senators and an election commissioner were also appointed.

“We have been very busy interviewing candidates for election commissioner,” said Racheal Countryman, ASG president and senior communication major. “With the quality of candidates, it did make it a tough decision.”

Countryman formally announced that Billy Garner, senior political science major, will be taking on the responsibilities of 2014 ASG election commissioner in addition to his duties as executive assistant.

Countryman said Garner has had several years of experience with the election process at ESU. She said ASG will announce the deputy election commissioner at the ASG senate meeting tonight.

Alexis Gatson, political science major representing the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Jared Kline, business administration major representing the School of Business, were also appointed as senators.

ASG also passed two bills to allocate reserve funds for Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs). The RSOs receiving funds included Zoiks! and Phi Sigma Kappa.

Ray Hauke, vice president of administration and fiscal affairs, also met with ASG at the meeting to speak about the Campus Master Plan.

Hauke presented a number of possible ways to improve the entrances to the campus on Merchant and 6th streets, classroom and academic areas, campus signage, the Art Annex and Kellogg Circle, as well as the addition of a visitor’s center and new academic buildings. Hauke’s presentation emphasized the need for both building improvements and increased space.

“One thing everyone has enjoyed in the Memorial Union project is having more gathering spaces and areas to study and enjoy conversations,” Hauke said.

Hauke said the new campus master plan could involve the removal of Butcher Education Center and part of Morse Hall, placing those classes in under-utilized classrooms and new buildings. He said, however, there has not been a decision on the matter and the time for the university to make that decision is “very far away.”

The addition of on-campus parking “will definitely have to happen,” Hauke said.

The next ASG meeting is at 5:15 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20 in the Senate Chamber.