Time capsule will be opened in 50 years

Time capsule will be opened in 50 years

Alex Hammerschmidt

Brandon Schrader, freshman psychology major, hands out postcards for students to write messages to future Emporia State students at the ESU Sesquicentennial time capsule booth Monday, Jan. 10 at 12:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union. The time capsule is one of ESU’s founding day events happening this week.

The Center for Student Involvement is collecting letters and postcards from students for a time capsule commemorating Emporia State’s sesquicentennial year this week in the Memorial Union. Associated Student Government will be collecting the last letters from students today from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Memorial Union before the time capsule is ceremoniously sealed at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the CSI lobby.

“This campus has changed so much already,” said Bryan Adams, junior communication major. “I can’t imagine how cool it will be in 50 years.”

Victoria Harmon, ASG senator and sophomore accounting major, attended the time capsule booth when it opened on Monday in the MU. Harmon also said she wrote about what Corky looks like now and wonders what future Corky will look like.

“Corky will be a lot different from how he is now,” Harmon said.

Harmon said she also wonders if ESU will still use the “Stingers Up” motto. She said she hopes there are more sports programs at ESU by the time the capsule is opened.

“I hope ESU will get bumped up to Division I by then,” Harmon said.

Adams said the future for ESU will be very interesting and jokingly said he hopes free printing comes back.

“I guess we may be able to do everything paperless by that point,” Adams said.

Adams said he thinks this campus will expand by a lot, including the population and square footage.

“Hopefully, ESU will double in size of enrollment,” Harmon said.

Benny Bowden, senior digital audio major, said he thinks ESU will be bigger when the time capsule is dug back up in fifty years.

“ESU won’t just be bigger in size,” Bowden said. “I think ESU will also be bigger in both its enrollment and its name.”

Among these predictions, Adams said he thinks ESU will also have more sports programs, the opportunity for students to major in social media, and possibly a parking garage for everyone to park their electric cars or “whatever we’re driving then.”

Adams said social media has already changed how we share things such as photos and will still be very important half a century from now.

“How we share photos in the future is going to be so different,” Adams said. “We’ve already moved from having the box of photos and stacks of photo albums to sharing our photos on Facebook and Instagram.”

Harmon said the time capsule will be opened in 2064.