Filed under Sports Shorts

Sophomore sets record, others provisionally qualify

Payson Maydew, sophomore, set a new school record at the Husker Invitational in Lincoln, Neb. over the weekend. Maydew placed third out of 13 athletes, including seven Division I athletes, accumulated 5,183 points to break Craig Saalfeld’s school record of 5,175, which was set in 2009.

Other members of the Emporia State Hornet track and field team also provisionally qualified for nationals.

The team of Ryan Dickson, Ashton Proctor, Jordan Smith and Duke Tibbs ran a time of 3:17.59 to place 10th overall in the men’s 4×400 meter relay. The 4x400m women’s relay team of Nikki Wetstein, Peyton Weiss, Lindsey Kunkel and Dominique Staats placed fourth in 3:52.98 to provisionally qualify for nationals in the 4×400 meter relay.

ESU also sent several men to the Mule Relays in Warrensburg, Mo. and had four fifth place finishes in individual completion while the 4×440 meter relay team of Michael Child, Grady Goff, John Thurston and Cale Hedges placed fourth.

The next action for the Hornets will be in two weeks as they again split the squad with select athletes returning to Lincoln for the Nebraska Tune-up, while most of the team will head over the KSU Tuneup in Manhattan on Feb. 21.