Filed under Sports Shorts

Baseball loses in extra innings

After two come-from-behind wins last Sunday the Emporia State baseball team traveled to Newman, where they lost to the jets, 6 – 5, in the tenth inning.

After short first and second innings Toby Cornejo, senior infielder started off the third with a single through the right side. Justin Harris, junior outfielder brought in Cornejo with a single up the middle. The Hornets left three on base and the Jets brought in two off an error in the bottom of the third.

Jordan Hodges, junior infielder tied the game at 2-2 off a single from Zach Stucky, junior outfielder and Harris would score again, giving the lead to the Hornets. The Jets tied the game before Matt Hinkley, junior pitcher, could close the inning.

The Jets then took back the lead after holding the Hornets scoreless in the sixth and seventh. Both teams remained scoreless in the eighth. Harris scored again in the ninth in addition to a double from Levi Parker, junior infielder. Parker scored off a walked RBI from Price Jacobs, junior outfielder; the Hornets left three stranded.

Newman sent the game into extra innings with a triple down right field. The Hornets answered with Dean Long, junior infielder batting in Parker with a single to left field. But, the Jets had a comeback in the bottom of the tenth, scoring off a single to left field and scoring again off a wild pitch.

This was the first loss for the Hornets this season, putting them at 3-1 overall. The Hornets will return home this weekend to host Central Oklahoma, Saturday at 1 p.m.