Filed under Columns

Internet Issues

Internet Issues

Westin Brown Spring 2014 Profile Picture

Do you live on campus? Are you having problems connecting to the internet or finding a strong Wi-Fi signal? You’re not the only one.

This has been a huge subject of concern and annoyance for the freshmen living in Towers. Wireless internet is included in every student’s housing contract. No mention is made on how much of a pain it is to set up that connection or simply to log in. The entire Emporia State campus is highly dependent on the ability to compute and because of that fact we should not settle for wandering the halls to send an email.

During finals week last semester, I saw freshmen students frantically walking around with their laptops looking for a strong enough signal so that they could submit papers and projects for class. Every single time I get on my laptop I have to login at least three times before I can establish a connection. All necessary security precautions notwithstanding, three attempts to login is ridiculous. It is not because I get the username or password wrong but because of the lousy weak internet connection spread throughout the residence halls. It isn’t just freshmen that struggle with this problem. Morse is affected also.

My roommate, who is very tech savvy and able on the computer, had to go out of his way and buy an Ethernet cable because Windows 8 is somehow not compatible with the wireless network. Not compatible? The majority of PC’s nowadays are created with Windows 8 software. I have avoided updating my own personal computer for this very same reason.

Many of us have brought this to the attention of ESU’s Information Technology Help Desk, but to no avail. The problem still persists. These issues need to be addressed and they won’t be resolved just by purchasing an Ethernet cable. It may not be a quick fix but it is certainly a necessary fix.

Information Technology, you are really dropping the ball. We are hardworking, peaceful residents of ESU, but we demand the full extent of our residential contract with working Wi-Fi included.