Filed under Columns

Dorm Livin’

Dorm Livin’

Morse Hall has been my home for two years now. I’ve lived at both ends of the building and experienced the same grimy rooms as the year before, regardless of where I am in the building. The dorms are a wreck. They look like they haven’t been touched since the school opened them – in 1924 – or that they’ve survived a blitzkrieg from war planes. It’s a bit unnerving.

How can students be expected to pay to live in these conditions? The shower is encrusted with calcium buildup and an unidentifiable mold-like substance. The wind can be felt creeping through the gaps in the windows, even though they’re “locked.” The sinks have a ring of green around the drain that never seems to go away no matter the amount of cleaning. T

The battered and cracked walls look as if the building was collapsing on itself. A rotten stench can sometimes invade a room for an unknown period of time and bring some of its cockroach friends with it. Students can’t control the temperature in the rooms with their out of date air conditioning units. The dorms have a multitude of problems that need to be brought to attention.

Trusler Hall has gone through a recent renovation to help charm students into enrolling in a more modern brand of Emporia State. The cracks in their walls have been fixed, their showers look better than just usable, and their rooms and hallways look like they’re from this century. Every room got a brand new sink and vanity even though they have communal bathrooms with those very same fixtures. Now the freshman Singular Hall is being renovated.

Renovations for freshmen may draw in more new students now, but showing the same attention to the upper classmen dorms will help retain many more students in the long run. It would improve overall student morale. All campus students would take pride in where they live. Freshmen would have something to look forward to. The school may be 151 years old, but the dorms don’t have to look it.