Filed under Hornet Life

Emporia State hypes up ‘Right Now’ music video

• Emmanuel Cockrell (left), junior theater education major, and Nathan Short (right), sophomore theater major, gave students a show of their dance skills Thursday, Feb. 20 at the Granada Theatre. The event was a dance and release party for the music video of the Emporia State hype song “Right Now,” written and recorded by student music duo Ten2One. (Will Austin)
  • Brittany Lawrence, sophomore elementary education major, moves with the beat at the video release party for Ten2One’s Emporia State hype song “Right Now.” The event took place on Thursday, Feb. 20 at the Granada Theatre. (Will Austin)
  • Gabe Andrews, senior business administration major, introduces the audience to a new version of an old Ten2One song at the music video release party for Emporia State’s hype song, “Right Now,” last Thursday in the Granada Theatre. Andrews and Benny Bowden, senior digital audio recording major, who created the hype song, were the main performers and announcers for the evening. (Will Austin)

The Granada Theatre was flooded last Thursday with those eager to see the premiere of Emporia State’s first and only hype song – “Right Now” by Ten2One.

Put on by the ESU Foundation and the ESU Student Foundation, the music video premiere was a dance party and a way for students to celebrate ESU’s 150th year anniversary with their friends and music.

“It’s also the campaign video for the Now and Forever Campaign. The Now and Forever is the largest comprehensive fundraising campaign in our history,” said DenaSue Potestio, president of the ESU Foundation and vice president for University Advancement. “We announced at our grand finale gala on Saturday night that we’ve reached the halfway point on our way to 45 million dollars. We’re amazed and so thankful for all of our supporters and all of the people who have given so generously to support our students and our faculty.”

Directed by Matt Jeppsen, who has worked with artists like Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts, Ten2One’s music video was premiered during the night of the student gala

“We hope the song will go viral,” Potestio said. “We want all of our students, all of our faculty, all of our alumni to share it.”

Gabe Andrews, senior marketing major, and Benny Bowden, senior digital audio recording major, who make up Ten2One, wrote the song in the summer of 2012 and started looking to create a music video for it in the fall of 2013.

Lights flashed as the two took the stage at the beginning of the night, opening with a song called “Make You Feel.” The crowd flocked the stage to jump and dance and sing, friends conversing and dancing around as the night carried on. There were also drinks and a photobooth, as well as Ten2One merchandise that was available for purchase.

When the music video was pulled up on screen, the crowd cheered. Opening with a violin trio and Bowden playing the piano in Welch Stadium, one could hear the audience singing along with the song.

“The video was sick. I think it was more sick than anybody thought it was going to be,” Andrews said. “Once the video started going and people started realizing how awesome it was, people started going crazy. And then they cheered real loud after the video. It was awesome.”

Some special highlights of the video included football players, breakdancing on campus and, of course, a special limousine cameo from none other than President Michael Shonrock himself.

“President Shonrock had, like, 15 minutes free that day and they made it happen,” Bowden said. “We got some good laughing parts at a couple of the surprise things we threw in the music video.”

After an encore of the video, the air was filled with the crowd putting their ‘Stingers Up’ and a potent ESU spirit.

“I got goose bumps,” said Michael Wilson, junior communication major. “I was really excited for it because it’s never been done before, so it’s a pretty cool deal. Pretty exciting for the university.”

Only an hour after the video dropped, social media was stormed with the hype song.

“I’ve already heard social media is going insane right now,” Bowden said. “We’ve got Twitter and Facebook. They’re saying there’s, like, nothing else on the newsfeed.”

Though the crowd thinned as the night wrapped up around 11 p.m., the energy was no less dense.

“I think it (the party) went awesome. That’s the only word I have for it,” said Tyler Huddleston, sophomore Spanish and communication dual major. “I was most afraid that there wasn’t going to be a huge turnout. I was so happy with who did come out. There were quite a few people here. It’s been one of the most successful Student Foundation events we’ve ever had.”

The hope of Ten2One and the ESU Foundation is that this video will not only help promote Ten2One’s music career, but also put Emporia in the public eye.

“We’re hoping somebody out there sees this and gets really impressed with just what’s happening at this little school in Kansas, and starts blasting at some sort of just big news outlet or some blogs that go crazy with it,” Bowden said.

Bowden also said Emporia is “on the map now.”

“If I was a student wanting to figure out where to go to college in the state of Kansas, and I saw this, I’d think, ‘There is this kind of support and this kind excitement among the students,’” Bowden said.

As of last night, the video on YouTube had received around 13,000 views.