Upcoming elections next order of business for ASG

Nicholas Sumner

Racheal Countryman, president of Associated Student Government, collects votes from ASG officials at the end of their meeting Feb. 20 in the Senate Chamber of Memorial Union. During their meeting they discussed several topics including the Golden Ball, a new swimming pool and ASG elections.

Associated Student Government is gearing up for their upcoming elections after filling in the last senate position to represent the Teachers College. ASG is keeping its momentum going into the election season after a successful visit to the state capitol for Higher Education Day to advocate for greater financial support for higher education.

“Higher Ed Day was a great success,” said Kate Churchill, senior communication major and ASG public affairs director.

Seven ASG representatives had the opportunity to go to the state capitol on Feb. 11 for Higher Ed Day to advocate for the restoration of higher education funding and propose a sales tax exemption on college textbooks. Racheal Countryman, ASG president and senior communication major, said they had “great support on both of these issues.”

During the ASG meeting on Thursday, Feb. 20, Countryman said a proposed amendment to Kansas House Bill 2557 was presented by 96th District Representative Brandon Whipple on Higher Ed Day and was approved by the House on Feb. 21. The proposed amendment would not provide a tax exemption, but would allow students to receive tax refunds on college textbooks.

“(The amendment) was a little bit different than what we had initially thought of,” Countryman said. “But we are happy to say that they are supporting us as much as they can at this point.”

The state senate has yet to vote on the proposed amendment to House Bill 2557.

ASG voted on Senate Bill 14023, rescinding the ESU Black Women’s Network, as the organization is officially merging with Black Student Union. The bill passed 20-0-1.

Senate Bill 14025, a reserve fund request for Student Athlete Advisory Committee, passed unanimously. ASG also passed Senate Resolution 14006 in recognition and gratitude of John Sheridan, dean of libraries and archives, and the William Allen White library staff.

Brady Harris, junior secondary education major, was appointed as an ASG senator representing the Teachers college.

“Things have been moving along very quickly,” said Billy Garner, senior political science major and ASG election commissioner.

Countryman formally announced Churchill as this year’s election commissioner deputy. She will be assisting Garner with the election process, in addition to her duties as ASG public affairs director.

Garner said students that are interested in running for a position in ASG should attend one of the two informational meetings on the second floor of the Memorial Union next week. The first ASG election informational meeting will be held at 5 p.m. on Monday, March 3 in the Blue Key Room. The second one will be held at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, March 4 in the Miller Room.