Filed under Staff Editorials

Right Now

Staff Editorial

Will Austin

The music video for the Emporia State hype song “Right Now” was revealed to Hornets on Thursday, Feb. 20 at the Granada Theatre. The video is just one of the many efforts that ESU has made to improve its image.

A music video directed by Matt Jeppsen, a professional director who has worked with artists like Taylor Swift, is just the latest addition to the university’s attempt to build up the image of Emporia State – and it’s working.

Ten2One artists, a duo that consists of ESU students Gabe Andrews, senior business administration major, and Benny Bowden, senior digital audio recording major, signed over the rights for their hype song, “Right Now,” to ESU last semester after pitching the idea of a promotional music video to ESU university officials. Through September, ESU will be able to use the song for marketing and promotional purposes.

The filming of the video took place in November and students were eagerly awaiting its arrival until the official release last Thursday.

What is most important about this video, however, is what it stands for – helping Hornet pride grow, which has been slowly but steadily accruing over the past few years. When our last president left our school, the university ushered in a new kind of leader. President Michael Shonrock isn’t just another chief executive officer overseeing the operations and setting the directional goals of our university. He takes time out of his busy day filled with meetings to make sure that he is a visible presence on campus. He pushes for change and brings new ideas on how to raise our campus up out of obscurity.

Like the video, with around 13,000 views in just one week, other changes are being welcomed by students. The ESU Foundation’s Now & Forever campaign – which the video was created for – is already halfway to their goal of raising $45 million. This year, ESU also had the biggest percentage of enrollment increase out of all the Kansas regent universities – 20 percent for undergraduates and 12 percent for graduate students. The university also launched the #iamahornet campaign, which was so successful that they are going to go for round two with it.

ESU is becoming a thriving small-town college. We finally have a campus to be proud of. Among the slew of campus buildings recently renovated are Cremer Science Hall, Student Recreation Center and the Memorial Union. Trusler Residence Hall has been renovated and Singular Residence Hall is currently receiving the same treatment. With these makeovers, our campus is becoming an attractive place for potential Hornets, and we can’t wait to see what comes next.

Our time is right now.