Fraternity, sorority host Mr. ESU Competition

Photo courtest of Alpha Kappa Lambda

Alpha Kappa Lambda and Sigma Sigma Sigma are hosting the first male pageant for Emporia State at 7 p.m. April 3 in Albert Taylor Hall.

Alpha Kappa Lambda and Sigma Sigma Sigma have come together to present the Mr. ESU Competition, Emporia State’s first-ever male pageant. The competition will be at 7 p.m. April 3 in Albert Taylor Hall. It will serve as a fundraiser for Plumb Place, a shelter for women who have encountered abuse.

The Mr. ESU Competition is meant to be a comedic event. Steven Fox, sophomore communication major and a former advertising representative for The Bulletin, helped organize the event, along with Nicole Lacey, sophomore elementary education major. Lacey and Fox began work on the competition in mid-January. The goal for the event is to raise $800 to $1,000.

“It’s going to be kind of like a mock pageant, but much more light-hearted,” Fox said.

Those who attend will have to pay a $5 fee at the door.

“The event is open, so anyone can attend,” Lacey said. “We encourage everyone to come.”

Macon Hunt, senior secondary English education major, said she is interested in the competition.

“I think that this would be a great opportunity for all the students to just relax, get out and have some good old fashioned fun,” Hunt said.

Undergraduate males are eligible for the competition. The applications have been mentioned in BuzzIn and Hornet Life. Applications are digital and should be emailed to Fox at sfox2@g.emporia.edu. They are due March 7.

The first 30 contestants that apply will get an audition. In the audition, students will be asked to perform their talent. From those auditions, 10 contestants will be selected to participate in the main event. Those who make it past auditions will pay a $15 participation fee. Three students will judge the main competition.

Contestants will be chosen on March 14 and will be revealed after spring break.

There will be four events. It will begin with an introduction of the contestants who will be in ESU pride wear. The talent show will come next. Each student has five minutes to perform his talent. The third event will be a swimsuit competition. The contestants can dress however they want to impress the judges.

The final event will be a question and answer. Contestants will be dressed in evening wear for this event, and audience participation will be included. The audience can write a question for the competitors to answer after they have been filtered by members of the fraternity and sorority chapters. Some prepared questions will mock those asked at normal pageants — for example, “How would you end world hunger?”

The pageant is meant to be goofy and serve as a positive environment for everyone involved to have fun.

“The event was divinely inspired,” Fox said.

This is the first time AKL has worked together with another Greek house for a community service project.