Massage therapy now offered through Student Wellness

Soon, students will be able receive stress relieving massages at the Student Wellness Center.

Starting March 9, Brenda Barrett, a nationally accredited massage therapist, will begin providing massage therapy services at Emporia State.

Barrett is a native of Emporia. She attended Butler Community College, where she earned her massage therapist accreditation in December 2005. She moved to Wichita in 2007, where she managed her own massage business part time through a chiropractor’s office.

She moved back to Emporia in 2011 and ran her business through her home. Before Barrett was a massage therapist, she worked for the Municipal Court in Emporia.

Barrett said there are different massages to choose from.

“Swedish massages are more superficial and focuses on the top of the skin. They have a flow to them,” Barrett said. “Deep tissue massages are more for getting the knots out and has more of a purpose.”

Though Barrett will offer the massage service on campus, she is not employed by the university. The Student Wellness Center has a contractual agreement with Barrett, allowing her to provide her services.

Barrett is in the Student Wellness Center on Thursday nights. People can make an appointment for a massage through the Wellness Center. Massages cost $30 for 30 minutes and $40 for an hour. Barrett only accepts cash.

Mary McDaniel, assistant director of health services and outreach for the Student Wellness Center, said requests for a massage therapist came in from time to time in the past.

“We wanted to start small until we see how many students and staff will utilize the service,” she said. “We didn’t want to ask Brenda to commit a whole lot of time when we don’t really know what the response will be yet.”

Tyler Sheldon, senior English major, said students, faculty and staff can easily accumulate a lot of stress.

“I think massage therapy is a good answer to that,” Sheldon said. “It sounds fantastic.”

Barrett said students don’t have to worry about being exposed during the massage. She said she will assist anyone to feel comfortable.

To make an appointment with Barrett, visit the Student Wellness Center, Southeast Morse Hall, room 250, or call 620-341-5222.