Engraving classroom renovated in King Hall

To help with class flow, engravers receive new space

• The engraving microscopes in the new room for engraving classes in King Hall come equipped with a bright natural light that covers all surfaces of the work area for better vision. (Jennifer Pendarvis)
  • April Lemon, senior glass major, uses one of the engraving microscopes in the new engraving room to work on a project for class Tuesday, March 4 in King Hall. (Jenny Pendarvis)

Emporia State is the only university in the nation that offers a four-year degree in engraving, and this semester, students enrolled in engraving classes got a new classroom.

The project to create a new engraving room began in the summer of 2013 and was completed over winter break. While ESU paid for some of the project, most of the funding for the renovation came from Glendo Corporation, an Emporia-based engraving and tool manufacturing company.

Engraving can be in the form of printmaking, or more decorative on guns or knives or any type of surface, and can be on metal, hard plastic or even glass.

Molly Day, senior engraving and graphic design major, said engraving and metals classes used to share the same room.

“It was a mess,” Day said. “When we did our work we were pushed up against one wall in the room and whenever the teacher was doing examples we would have to come huddle around him in a little corner and it was cramped so you couldn’t really see it very well. It was just a pain.”

The new classroom now has personal microscopes and individual work stations. While the instructor is working on examples, a video of what he or she is doing shows up on monitors that are at each work station.

“The new room is very helpful now since we all have our own microscope and our own set-up to work at,” said Erin Eidman, senior engraving and printmaking major.

Eidman said the room has new tools, as well as a sharpener.

Along with the new engraving room, they made improvements to the office on the main floor in King Hall and raised money to add new tablets to the Mac room.

Josh Hamlin, sales manager and special coordinator for Glendo, said the goal of the corporation was to help ESU in giving engraving students their own space and to do this with the best quality they could.

Anyone at ESU can enroll in an engraving class. Currently there are only six engraving majors, but James Ehlers, associate professor of engraving, said that is a misleading indicator of how many people enroll in those courses.

“I came here just as a an art major and then my advisor talked to me about engraving and thought it would be something I was interested in and it was,” Eidman said. “It’s very unique and that was one thing that drew me to it.”