Filed under Columns

Will Work for Internships

Will Work for Internships

Emporia State has little to no opportunities to offer students seeking internships.

Actually, I take that back.

If you’re here to study education, then you have opportunities. ESU works closely with schools nearby to ensure student teachers have options, and can easily find a teaching job following graduation.

This is a good thing. I have teacher friends who have taken advantage of this, and I’m happy for them.

If you’re not going into teaching, however, you won’t get any such treatment. I’m hoping to go into publishing, and there are zero connections that ESU can offer me toward an internship. I can work minimally on campus – on the newspaper (obviously) and for Flint Hills Review or Quivira, but there isn’t any way to find an off-campus internship.

One of my friends, a radio broadcasting student, was able to pick from a list, interview and be placed within days because Johnson County Community College has a department dedicated to getting students into relevant internships. Another friend goes to Wichita State and is applying for university-sponsored summer internships in their field of criminal justice. Two students in completely different fields are able to work with their universities to get relevant and educational experience.

The most that I can do is keep an eye on the tables that crop up in the main hall of the Memorial Union. If those yield nothing, I’ll have to go online – which I have, frequently – and the results there are either out of state or not flexible enough to give me real experience while still attending school. That real-world experience can be the deciding factor in whether I get a job in the field I want or not.

Our university is a “teacher’s college,” but non-teaching majors are being thrown aside without school-sponsored opportunities to work in the field of their choosing. ESU should have departments that are working with local and state-wide businesses to give all students the same opportunities that education majors already have.