‘Boeing Boeing’ makes laughs

Nicholas Sumner

Robert (left) played by John Stafford, junior theater major, and Gloria (right) played by Lisa Prater, junior theater major, share a heated scene during a dress rehearsal for the play “Boeing Boeing,” Tuesday in the Karl C. Bruder Theatre. The play premiered last night and will show at 7:30 p.m. every night until March 8 in King Hall.

I really like how the story is structured for it to all fall apart.”

— Brandon Jensen, junior theater major

The Emporia State Theatre Department’s production of an English language version of Boeing Boeing by Marc Camoletti’s premiered last night in the Karl C. Bruder Theatre.

Theresa Mitchell, professor of theater and production manager of “Boeing Boeing,” said she would describe “Boeing Boeing” as a farcical romantic comedy.

“I really like how the story is structured for it to all fall apart but all of the characters are so in sync,” said Brandon Jensen, junior theater major, who plays Bernard. “One door closes and another opens.”

The comedic timing and reactions between characters has become very entertaining to the cast and crew. Mitchell said much of the comedy in the play is in the characters’ reactions.

“The payoff, the laugh is the best part,” Mitchell said. “It’s a moment of discovery for the character. It’s watching how the characters respond to each other.”

Mitchell said the training that student actors receive by performing a farce is unlike other genres of theater in that comedic timing is key, similar to that of doing improv or stand up comedy.

“About half of the character reactions are punchlines,” Jensen said.

Lisa Prater, junior theater, who plays Gloria in “Boeing Boeing,” said students should come see the play if they like comedy.

“It’s a laugh a minute,” she said.

Kylie Geiman, junior secondary education and theater major, who plays Gabriella, said dress rehearsal has been her favorite part of putting together the play.

“Dress rehearsal – where it all starts to come together – is when it gets really fun,” Geiman said.

Mitchell said a committee of student representatives and theatre faculty choose the plays and musicals that the theatre department puts on.

“We ask theater students what they would like to see as well,” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said the department tries to do a production of at least one farcical play every semester and that students who enjoy farcical comedies such as “Boeing Boeing” will also enjoy the upcoming summer theater production of Douglas Hughes’ “Too Many Cooks.”

The play will be showing every night at 7:30 p.m. through Saturday, March 8. Admission is $5 for students with student ID, $10 for adults and $9 for senior citizens.