Corky’s Corps reaches out to prospective students

As students return from spring break and the semester keeps on rolling, the Center for Student Involvement will be kicking off Corky’s Corps, a program for students involved in campus groups and community service who are not Emporia State Ambassadors to reach out to prospective ESU students.

“The main goal of a member is to meet one on one from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m. once a week with a prospective student during their campus visit about campus life and opportunities at ESU,” said Jason Bosch, senior director of the CSI. “It’s not a big time commitment and it’s a great way to for students involved in campus organizations and community service to expand their own involvement on campus.”

Bosch said Corky’s Corps is for students who love ESU and want to share that experience with a prospective student. He also said student involvement consultants in CSI helped develop the idea for Corky’s Corps.

“When prospective students go on tours they go through a tour with a student ambassador,” Bosch said. “But other than that, there is no opportunity for prospective students to interact with current students.”

Corky’s Corps wants to get all of the departments and clubs involved, but is not limiting it to just majors and RSOs.

Members of Corky’s Corps represent major and discipline-specific groups, athletic and recreation groups, community service groups, multicultural groups, religious and faith-based groups, fraternities, sororities and groups involved with arts, music and entertainment.

“Corky’s Corps members need to have a positive attitude and positive energy, as well as having good interpersonal communication skills,” said Josh Wallace, student involvement consultant and junior communication major.

When prospective students schedule a campus visit, a section for general interests is provided for them to fill out. Bosch said these interests are looked at when choosing a Corky’s Corps representative to meet with the student.

Becca White, student involvement consultant and junior elementary education major, said prospective students will get to see more of campus life from an ESU student’s perspective.

The deadline for Corky’s Corps applications was at midnight last Friday, March 23, but Bosch said they will be taking applications at least once every year and there is no set limit on how many students can be in Corky’s Corps.

“We would like to see a new group of students in Corky’s Corps every semester, but we’ll have to look into how many students are interested in this program,” Bosch said.