Student government elections approaching

Alex Hammerschmidt

Ray Voiers (left), sophomore political science major, and his running mate Matt Parra, junior political science major, count the number of signatures they have collected March 12 in the William Allen White Library. Associated Student Government requires all candidates to collect 578 signatures to be accepted onto the election ballot.

Candidates for Associated Student Government elections have been collecting signatures to go on the ballot for the upcoming Associated Student Government elections April 7-9.

Positions looking to be filled through the election process include president and vice president, who run together on the same ticket, and several senator positions.

Three presidential and vice presidential tickets are expected to be on the ballot. Ray Voiers, sophomore political science and public administration major, and Matt Parra, junior political science major, are among those seeking a spot. Voiers will run for president, and Parra for vice president.

“I’m really excited about it because we haven’t been involved in ASG before, and to just step over the senator phase and go straight into vice president and president, it’s going to be an adventure, but it’s exciting,” Parra said.

Students who intend to run for office began collecting signatures for their petitions on March 3, and have until tomorrow to collect what they need. Candidates are not officially on the ballot until they have adequate signatures. Those running for a senator position need 50 signatures, while those running for president and vice president need a total of 578.

Although Voiers and Parra have not been involved with ASG before, Parra has worked closely with ASG senators in his position as president of the public affairs club.

In senator positions, more students are running than in years past. There are usually around 10 candidates, but this year about 20 petitions were handed out at the beginning of the election process. There are a total of 23 senator positions in ASG.

Brandon Schrader, freshman psychology and business administration major, is running for a position as senator for the Teacher’s College. He was a senator this school year, but this will be his first time going through the election process.

“It’s very much dependent on the voters themselves, but I also think that…the people running for those elected positions have a very big influence as well,” Schrader said.

For the second year, elections will take place online through Hornet Life. Students will receive an email reminding them to vote, including a link to Hornet Life.

“This election process allows the students to speak their mind or to use their voice to have a direct say in the student government and what happens on this campus,” said Billy Garner, senior political science major and election commissioner.

The president and vice president of ASG are paid positions. Other paid staff positions include legislative director, treasurer, and public affairs director. The executive assistant may become a paid position next year. Garner said the president and vice president hire the other staff positions.

Next week, candidates will begin to campaign. Presidential and vice presidential debates will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 2 in the Kanza Room of Memorial Union. There will be a reception following the debates from 6:30-7 p.m. Elections will take place the following week, beginning Monday, April 7.