Model United Nations offers conference opportunities

Jennifer Pendarvis

Students who attended the Model United Nations meeting raise their hands to show if they are interested in certain opportunities for them to study abroad March 6 in the Heritage Room in Memorial Union. Each student will be assigned to represent a country and must lobby for the “best interests of that country,” said Nizomiddin Kuchkarov, president of Model United Nations and senior economics major.

A new club at Emporia State will allow students to participate in conferences that simulate United Nations meetings.

The Model United Nations conferences are international events held by universities throughout the world. People from many different cultures and countries can meet in their own country, or travel to other conferences across the globe.

Kaisa-triin Karu junior marketing major, holds the position of secretary for the Model United Nations of ESU.

“Basically, all the universities who are interested in participating, they make their own schedule of which conferences they would like to attend,” Karu said.

Nizomiddin Kuchkarov, senior economics major and president of the club, said students are assigned a country for every conference.

“They will represent the country and they will lobby for the best interests of that country,” Kuchkarov said.

Kuchkarov also said the goal of ESU’s organization is to help students prepare for conferences, to organize internal conferences at ESU and to “encourage the awareness of the students about the political situation in the world.”

Ikbal Ben Gaied Hassine, senior business major and the club’s treasurer, said being a part of the MUN will challenge students to bring together many different skills and apply them in an interesting way.

“Public speaking, socialization, public relations, international relations, politics, research, many things at the same time,” Hassine said. “I think it’s a very important experience. You can grow within it.”

The topics of at the conferences differ, but each one has only one topic on the table. Once the subject has been given, Kucharov said students start researching their topic and their country about a month in advance.

The goal of each conference is to reach a resolution on the given topic. However, the resolution is not applied to anyone.

“It’s not applied because the students play the role,” Karu said. “The real United Nations will not make any changes because of what the students do.”

According to Karu, the time it takes for a resolution to be reached depends on how the conference is set up, and it all starts with choosing the topic.

“Some conferences take place in four days, some take place for a shorter period, so it depends,” she said.

The cost for attending conferences will vary.