ASG debates the future of library, degree programs

ASG debates the future of  library, degree programs

Nicholas Sumner

John Sheridan, dean of the University Libraries and Archives, attends the Associated Student Government meeting to discuss the library’s plans regarding past books March 13 in the ASG Senate Chamber in the Memorial Union. The next ASG meeting will be at 5:15 p.m. tonight in Webb 2 in the Memorial Union.

Associated Student Government’s last meeting before spring break proved a productive one on March 6. ASG also held their annual RSO fund allocation meeting March 5 in Webb Hall 2, awarding 68 RSOs fund allocations.

Rachael Countryman, ASG president and senior communication major, announced that Faculty Senate had passed several resolutions on March 4 regarding recommendations by David Cordle, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, to discontinue certain academic programs.

She said the faculty senate does not support the discontinuance of the Bachelor of Science degrees in physical and social sciences, the B.S. degrees in the business finance program, the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor’s of Secondary Education degrees in the German and French modern language concentrations, or the instructional leadership program.

However, Faculty Senate does support the discontinuance of the Master of Arts in teaching and B.A. degrees in social sciences, physical sciences and the B.S. degree in the information resources studies program.

“The actual outcomes of these will be decided upon later on,” Countryman said. “But as of now, this is where Faculty Senate stands.”

Countryman said these recommendations will go to President Michael Shonrock and the Kansas Board of Regents.

John Sheridan, dean of University Libraries and Archives, met with ASG on March 6 to address the removal of books from the library. He said one goal of the Campus Master Plan is “the transitioning of William Allen White library into a modern learning commons.”

Sheridan pointed out that students’ use of the library’s technological resources, such as laptops and wireless internet usage, had surpassed the checkout of books and print academic journals.

“The number of laptop checkouts in 2008 began exceeding book checkouts,” Sheridan said. “This says to me that students are using online resources more than book resources.”

Sheridan said other concerns include the shrinking amount of space available for print academic resources and acceptable disposal methods. He said donating the books to public libraries and recycling books would be one ideal method of disposal.

ASG also passed Senate Bill 14027 unanimously, officially recognizing the ESU Rehabilitation Club. ASG then passed Senate Bills 14030 and 14031, approving reserve fund requests for Sigma Phi Epsilon and Model United Nations Club.

Senate Bill 14032, a reserve fund request for Zeta Phi Beta, was passed unfavorably.

ASG passed a resolution to support a feasibility study for a natatorium expansion of the student recreation center. Senate Resolution 14007 passed 18-0-1.

Josh Wallace, junior communication major and ASG senator, sponsored the resolution.

“This proposed feasibility study is just to bring the architects to actually look at all the options that we could have and analyze the cost of that,” Wallace said.

ASG also passed Senate Bills 14028, 14029 and 14033, revising senate attendance policy, code of conduct and election regulations, respectively.

The next ASG meeting will be tonight at 5:15 p.m. in Webb 2 in the Memorial Union.