Filed under Opinion Columns

Summer Job Search

Summer Job Search

It’s time to start worrying about summer jobs.

Positions are going quick and you need to make some extra money for the new school year. Now is the time to apply. No, not tomorrow, today, because all those open job spots in your hometown will be filling up with eager high school applicants.

It is very easy to wait until May and then decide to get a job, but employers need to know what kind of applicants they have available for the summer. College students, like us, who have a strong sense of work ethic and experience working with people, are a great addition to any work force. A college student who knows how to prepare a résumé, dress well and speak with a sense of professionalism has a better chance of landing a job. Use this to your advantage and prove yourself worthy of the position you are trying to fulfill.

The hardest part of any job is actually finding the job. There are several websites to help you find a summer position, such as, and These sites offer a diverse range of job opportunities based on where you live and your personal criteria. Beware of sites that require your debit or credit card information because this could be a scam waiting to happen. City websites often list jobs under an employment or careers tab. If you enjoy reading the newspaper, there is usually a classified section for job listings.

Don’t be afraid to use social connections such as professors, family and friends to find the kind of positions that will build up your academic resume with jobs that relate to your major. The job market is hard on students because of limited field experience or lack of time. Future employers don’t just look at grades. They look for individuals who were active learners outside the classroom as well.

Put your skills to the test and start searching for that summer job that will benefit your pocketbook, as well as your résumé.