Emporia State’s Got Talent

Psychology Club hosts its first talent show

• Maggie Wilson, junior recreation major, performs a medley of songs she had prepared for the first Psychology Club talent show March 13 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. Wilson took first place at the show. (Nicholas Sumner)
  • Kate Freeland, junior interdisciplinary studies major, sings a classic jazz song for the talent show March 13 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. The talent show was hosted by Psychology Club. (Nicholas Sumner)

Emporia State students proved they have talent during Psychology Club’s first Talent Contest.

Singing, dancing and a variety of other talents were displayed by contestants and audience members March 13 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. Not only did the performers show off their talents, but the audience also participated by displaying some of their own abilities.

“This is the first time we’ve done anything like this,” said Sertrice Grice, junior psychology major. “The idea for the contest was to get psychology club’s name out more on campus.”

Grice is the president of the psychology club, and said she hopes they host another talent contest next year.

Four contestants competed for various prizes. An entry fee of $5 was required for contestants. The money collected served as fundraising for the psychology club. For audience members, the cost of admission was one canned good, which will go to either Abundant Harvest or Shiloh House.

The first act on stage was Maggie Wilson, junior recreation major, who sang a song medley and played guitar. The songs Wilson mashed together varied from “Royals” by Lorde to “Let It Go” from the Disney movie “Frozen.”

“It felt great to be up there. It was totally worth the foam finger,” Wilson said, “I’ll definitely do this again next year.”

Wilson took first place in the talent show and claimed an ESU foam finger with its stinger raised high as her prize.

Other prizes ranged from a cappuccino machine to several gift cards. Each contestant had a chance to choose their prize in the order they placed. The audience could also win prizes by participating in the show.

Around 50 students attended the event. The three judges of the event were Pamelyn MacDonald, professor of psychology; Kayla Smith, Complex Coordinator of Morse Complex and Theresa Mitchell, professor of communication and theater. Performers were judged on their originality, talent and audience appeal.

“It was fun, exciting, and surprising. I was surprised in the depth of talent,” Mitchell said. “They should do this again.”