Fraternity puts mini golf course in house

Amanda Goering

In hopes of a hole-in-one, Cheyenne England, freshman psychology major, prepares to putt at the course on Alpha Kappa Lamba’s roof. This was the first year AKL has hosted the Putt Palace as their house fundraiser.

Mini golf courses are a rare sight in Emporia. But on March 29, Alpha Kappa Lambda opened the doors of their fraternity house and invited the public to come and play putt putt golf with them.

Around 50 golfers participated in the event. Each person chose their golf ball at the door and could move freely among the 12 courses inside.

“I was a little afraid about attendance at first, but it turned out very well,” said Derek Parris, sophomore business administration and international business major.

Each room had to create a theme. Hole 1 went with a cat theme which featured posters of cats lining the walls and even a sleeping kitten in the corner of the room. The courses were made out of every day materials a college student would find in a dorm room. Some were lined with books, while others were lined with shoes and foam piping. The courses varied from a black light course to a sports course.

“Every time there is a new class of pledges, they have an opportunity to put something together as a group bonding activity,” said Steven Fox, sophomore communication major and former employee of The Bulletin. “This is the idea everyone agreed on.”

The event was part of Alpha Kappa Lambda’s pledge class project.

Students who played through the courses mostly agreed that the black light room was their favorite course. One of those students even gave some tips for playing Putt Putt.

“I try to aim, but I have no aim so it doesn’t really work,” said Elisabeth Apel, junior elementary education major.

Though Apel claims to have no aim, she almost made a hole in one on a course during her play through.

Students were split on what they thought the hardest course was. It was a tie between the second hole, a course that involved a ramp over small propane tanks and an escalated hole, and the seventh hole, called the “pyramid hole.” The pyramid hole began with the golf ball resting at the bottom of a ramp. The golfer only had to make it up the ramp with the correct amount of force to make it into the hole that rested in the belly of a pyramid. Fox claimed that most golfers that played the course either tried five times to get it in or quit.

The fraternity plans on making the putt putt golfing an annual event. Since the members of Alpha Kappa Lambda who live in the house created the courses, they will change every year. The event was a fundraiser for the fraternity and raised $317 from the entrance fees and concessions.