CASE ASAP gives chance for schools to share wisdom

Nicholas Sumner

Johnny Morgan, sophomore secondary mathematics education major, stands up to tell what is important to him March 29 at the CASE ASAP conference during an after lunch leadership session in the Colonial Ballroom. During the event, students attended lectures to better their leadership skills.

Last weekend, Emporia State hosted the District 6 CASE ASAP Conference, which gave schools in the surrounding states – Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska and several others – the chance to share their ideas about recruitment, alumni affairs and traditions.

“It was a really fulfilling experience to have Emporia State host it,” said Amanda Miller, senior communication major. “It was so nice to make it unique to us because we were able to show the hype song. We were able to give Twinkies because we’re the ‘Home of the Twinkies.’ We got to go out and let them experience the night life in Emporia.”

Put on by ESU’s Ambassadors, the conference held workshops on programming, how to up donations and how to drive spirit on and off campus. There were panels where student representatives from each university could answer questions about their school’s policies and practices and a dinner Saturday night for inter-university mingling.

The organizations present were not only Ambassadors, but also student foundations, and student alumni associations, all of which are about the advancement of the respective schools’ students.

Katie Ramsey, sophomore politics and communication major out of Drake University in central Iowa, was taken on a campus tour with other visiting students.

“Your guys’ student union is so nice and your academic buildings are so nice,” Ramsey said. “We noticed there’s a lot of diversity on campus that we weren’t expecting in the middle of Kansas. That’s something we really struggle with at Drake is sort of just retaining a diverse population.”

Annelise Tarnowski, a junior journalism major also from Drake, said she loved the opportunity to go to-and-from their hotel to the university campus, giving her the chance to see some of Emporia’s best tourist spots.

“We went to Sweet Granada a little bit which was awesome. I love supporting anything local, so that was really cool to see a local business,” Tarnowski said. “We checked out the theater which was cool. Just old movie theaters are so beautiful. So those were the two coolest things I think I’ve seen.”

Tarnowski attended sessions about improving senior programming and another for foundation groups to explain how to promote their activities to ensure larger donations. She also spoke on a panel.

Because last year’s conference was held by Drake University, Ramsey and Tarnowski said they understood what the ESU Ambassadors were going through, but appreciate all their hard work because it does help them out in the long run. Tarnowski has attended five district conferences in the past and even took the information learned at one and applied it at Drake, helping her university win a National award for their efforts. Miller said she has done the same here at ESU.

“The conference is a way for schools to get together and share ideas about their organizations and things that they do, in order for other schools to utilize those tools and maybe implement them into themselves,” Miller said. “I learned in previous conferences how to increase recruitment and that is something that I utilized this year in our ambassador program and actually got the most number of new members we’ve ever had before. Some of those tactics I learned, like tagging the campus and creating a brochure were ideas that I got through conferences before.”

The 2014 National Convention will be held in St. Louis, Mo.