Filed under Sports Shorts, Tennis

Women win singles, men defeated

The Emporia State women’s tennis team took an 8-1 win over Missouri Western at Milton Courts in Emporia on Friday. This improved their season record to 11-3. The Lady Hornets took 8-2 wins in doubles at #1 and #2 but fell in a tiebreaker at #3. ESU finished the day strong by sweeping the singles competition.

Saturday saw another victory at home for the Lady Hornets, who came back to beat nationally ranked Northwest Missouri 5-4. ESU started with the lead with a doubles win at #1. The Bearcats took the lead after winning at #2 and #3 doubles. Amy Fugit, freshman, evened the dual with a singles win at #6, until Northwestern won at #4 singles. Nicole Jara, senior, won at #1 singles, but Northwestern won at #3 singles, putting them within a match of winning the dual. Tawni Griffey, freshman, kept the Lady Hornets in it with a win at #2 singles and Somer Schmidt, senior, won at #5 singles allowing ESU to take the win. This puts their season record at 12-3.

The men’s tennis team played Northwestern on Saturday as well, losing 9-0. Payton Hays, freshman, and Collin Connor, sophomore, fell in a close match at #3 doubles. Jonathan Butron, freshman, lost 6-4, 6-2 at #3, which was the closest singles match. This puts the men’s season record at 8-4.

The Lady Hornets play against Lincoln tomorrow in Emporia at Milton Courts. Both teams will play Southwest Baptist on Saturday at the Emporia High School Courts.