Huddleston, Harmon win by landslide

Huddleston,  Harmon win by landslide

Jon Coffey

Tyler Huddleston, junior communication and Spanish major, hugs Victoria Harmon, junior accounting major, in celebration of winning the Associated Student Government presidential election April 9 in the Center for Student Involvement. Huddleston and Harmon’s platform includes a plan to increase ASG’s connection with students and the Emporia community.

After tallying the votes of 766 students, the 2014-15 Associated Student Government president, vice president and senator positions were announced at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 9 in the Memorial Union.

Tyler Huddleston, junior Spanish and communication major, and his running mate, Victoria Harmon, junior accounting major with a leadership minor, won the ASG presidential race by 266 votes. Charlotte Smith, senior health promotion major, and Chase Sossi, sophomore English major, came in second with 162 votes. Rounding out the three candidate groups, Ray Voiers, sophomore political science major, and Matt Parra, junior political science major, came in last with 150 votes.

ASG senators were also voted into office. Jarrod Kline received a seat as a senator for the School of Business, and Jessica Rice received a position as a senator for the graduate school.

Six students ran for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Elijah Williams, Clarissa Carrillo, Arisvet Hernandes, Ana Lucio Castro Munoz and Paige Hicks received office, leaving Randee Watkins out of office by only three votes.

The Teacher’s College had six candidates as well. Alex Hull, Kate Dorian, Janet Weaver, Miranda Bargdill and Brandon Schrader all were voted into office as senators. With a 30-vote deficit, only Brady Harris did not receive a place as senator.