Filed under Briefs

Community walks to benefit local MS patients

Over 80 Emporia community members gathered on Saturday morning at Flint Hills Mall for a charity walk to help people in the region that have been afflicted with multiple sclerosis. The walk began in the Flint Hills Mall across from GNC and extended a mile and a half around the Lyon County Fairgrounds.

Rachael Haynes, event coordinator, said this was her first year coordinating the event but this was the seventh year there has been a multiple sclerosis charity walk in Emporia.

“We’ve had over 50 participants that registered for the walk online,” Haynes said. “But we’ve seen at least thirty more people have showed up here to walk this morning.”

Haynes said proceeds will go towards paying for the medical expenses of people who have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the region.

“There are charity walks in Hutchinson, Hays, Lawrence and Manhattan that are also raising money for multiple sclerosis patients in the region,” Haynes said. “Our chapter is the Mid-America chapter, which donates its proceeds toward the medical expenses of those who have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.”

Kristen Siler, a participant in the walk, said this is the second year she has done the annual multiple sclerosis walk. She said she began participating in the walk after her mother was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.