Wallace crowned Mr. ESU

• Bringing out the pottery wheel, Miguel Alaniz, sophomore ceramic arts major, begins his pottery skills with a little background music from the movie “Ghost” April 3 in Albert Taylor Hall. “Unchained Melody” was a comedic add to Alaniz’s pottery throwing and finished up his vase in under 10 minutes. (Jennifer Pendarvis)
  • Junho Yun, senior philosophy major, sings a Korean song during the Mr. ESU competition April 3 in Albert Taylor Hall. The Mr. ESU competition was held to raise funds to support the groups S.O.S. and Plumb Place who help women survivors of abuse and provide emergency shelter to those in need. (Jennifer Pendarvis)

A talent show, swimsuit contest and a question and answer session were all part of the Mr. ESU, which took place at 7 p.m. April 3 in Albert Taylor Hall.

Mr. ESU was hosted by Alpha Kappa Lambda and Sigma Sigma Sigma. Ten different contestants competed. Jawuan Wallace, freshman art education major, was voted the winner.

Wallace said that he felt nervous at first, but once the first portion of the show finished, he felt at ease.

“My favorite part had to be the talent show portion… What I actually did for my talent is, I actually free-styled to a song I’ve only heard once,” Wallace said. “At the end, I blindfolded myself and I did a windmill while taking off my shirt.”

Wallace said the event is something that Emporia State students should look forward to in the future.

“I think that you guys should definitely come to it next year, because this is just the beginning,” Wallace said. “This was already an amazing performance with every talent, every person who competed and every year it’s going to get better and better and better.”

All proceeds from the show went to Plumb Place and SOS charities.