Filed under Columns

Raise the Bar for LGBTA

Raise the Bar for LGBTA

Emporia needs a gay bar.

Being able to have a place where those who identify as a sexual minority can get together, mingle and meet one another would strengthen our community further. Creating this place with a casual atmosphere, and the option of food, drinks, and even dancing and entertainment, would also give a jumpstart to Emporia’s slightly-lacking night life.

One of the things I appreciate most about Emporia State is its Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Asexual community. It’s a relief to know that this is an accepting and even encouraging place. But, in my experience, even with a LGBTA community on campus, finding others of my persuasion is still tricky, and often requires a lot of guesswork.

This is not truly a new concept. There are other college towns even nearby that have a fairly bustling homosexual night life. Lawrence has at least four bar and grills that are open to gay, lesbian and all those patrons in between. There is a bar in Topeka as well, and both campuses have active LGBTA support for those students in question. Both Topeka and Lawrence are bigger towns than Emporia, but there’s no reason why we can’t offer the same kind of fun and casual environment as they do.

Even if a whole new business can’t be created, there are already a number of bars and restaurants that could work with the LGBTA community in Emporia to give them a place to find each other and enjoy themselves. They could devote nights and specials specifically to attract and celebrate the community.

By establishing a place and time just for LGBTA patrons, the anxiety of wondering or having to guess if someone you like and want to get to know would be interested in you is eliminated, even if it’s just for a little while. Having the opportunity to spend a Friday or Saturday night drinking and dancing with a crowd I can relate to is invaluable to myself and to everyone like me who has struggled to find people like them.