Filed under Hornet Life

Cashore Marionettes take over Albert Taylor Hall

Photo courtesy of Cashore Marionettes

Joseph Cashore performed his solo show “Life in Motion” April 6 in Albert Taylor Hall. Cashore has had an interest in marionettes since he was a child and has been performing for over 30 years.

Emporia State hosted the Cashore Marionette act Sunday, April 6 in Albert Taylor Hall. The host, Joseph Cashore performed, with his puppets through a numerous amount of different scenes, the show was called “Life in Motion.”

Puppet performance dates back to around 600 years ago in Britain, according to the Victoria and Albert Museum, one of the world’s greatest museums of art and design. This has become a more popular form of entertainment around the world.

Cashore first saw a marionette when he was 10 or 11 years old, and his fascination with them has grown ever since, according to the Cashore Marionettes website. ESU has never had them here before, but has had similar events to this.

“We heard of them through their agent,” said Melissa Windsor, arts council executive director. “I actually go to a conference every year and I work with their agent a lot for bringing in other groups to Emporia. The Cashore Marionettes happen to be in town because they are going to The Lied Center in Lawrence next week, so it worked out really well.”

Albert Taylor Hall has the capacity to hold 1,200 people, so it was different to have the marionettes in this auditorium rather than a small one such as The Granada. Windsor said they made the decisions to have it in Albert Taylor Hall just based on wanting to see if they could get as many students as possible to come.

“We were given a grant from the university, so it allows students to come free,” Windsor said. “The Union Activities Council selected us to be a recipient and we’ve had this for several years. So, students will always get in free with any of the events and shows put on by the Arts Council.”

The show had 300 people buy tickets in advance and were only allowing 500 to keep the event intimate.

“I really liked the horse scene,” said Shirley Slaymaker, an Emporia community member who attended the show. “It was fascinating because it moved exactly like an actual horse. It’s crazy how human like they act and look like.”