Filed under Tennis

Men’s tennis goes 0-2, women go 2-2

Men’s tennis goes 0-2, women go 2-2

Will Austin

Farhan Sadique, freshman, catches a hit from a Southwest Baptist player on Saturday, April 5 at the Milton Tennis Courts. Both the men’s and women’s teams lost 8-1 against SBU.

The Emporia State women’s tennis team started this past weekend by sweeping Lincoln University of Missouri 9-0 on senior night last Friday at Milton Courts. Somer Schmidt, senior, and Amy Fugit, freshman, won 8-0 at #3 doubles.

The Lady Hornets took the other two doubles 8-1, with Nicole Jara, senior, and Tawni Griffey, freshman, at #1 and juniors Taylor Smith and Tiffany Khounsombath at #2. ESU went on to win all six singles matches, losing only three games total. Griffey won at #2, Schmidt at #5, and Fugit at #6 all with 6-0, 6-0 victories. Jara and Smith each got 6-1, 6-0 wins at #1 and #3 respectively. Jennifer Gerhardt, junior, got a 6-0, 6-1 victory at #4, finishing the sweep.

“Everyone was really cheering each other on, and it was great to be able to do so well on senior night,” Khounsombath, a biochemistry major, said. “We did well at staying consistent with our game, and everyone had fun out there.”

The men’s and women’s teams both played against Southwest Baptist on Saturday in Emporia. Both teams lost 8-1. Fugit and Schmidt snagged the women’s win at #3 doubles with the final score 8-5. Payton Hays, freshman, won at #6 singles 10-8, picking up the men’s only win.

“The scores may not show it, but our teams performed very well,” said John Cayton, head coach. “They put out a lot of effort this weekend, which is the number one thing we ask from them. They were also able to maintain a positive attitude, which isn’t always easy to do.”

The Lady Hornets played again in Emporia on Sunday, losing 8-1 to Augustana. The Hornets were down 2-1 after doubles, with Griffey and Khounsombath picking up the win 9-8 at #2. Augustana then took all six singles matches.

“We need to make sure we stay confident and motivated,” Gerhardt, a pre-physical therapy major, said. “We lost to two tough teams, but we’re ready to move forward from it.”

Both teams played again yesterday against Rockhurst University at home, with the women taking a 5-4 victory and the men losing 3-6.

Friday will see action for both teams again. The women will take on the Fort Hays State Tigers in Hays, and the men will play the Hastings College Broncos in Hastings, Neb.