Huddleston, Harmon prepare for 2014-2015 term

President-elect, vice president-elect look toward new year

Jennifer Pendarvis

Tyler Huddleston, junior communication and Spanish major, and Victoria Harmon, junior accounting major, pose just after arriving back at Emporia State from visiting Topeka on Wednesday. The ASG duo won the president and vice president elections on April 9. Traveling with Racheal Countryman, current ASG president and senior communication major, they met with the Kansas Board of Regents and the Student Advisory.

The newly-elected Associated Student Government president and vice president prepare for their upcoming term.

“As a senator, I saw everything ASG has done has been beneficial for the students, and I just wanted to continue that through ASG as vice president,” said Victoria Harmon, junior accounting major and newly-elected vice president of ASG.

After their time as senators, Harmon saw the opportunity to keep positive change going on campus.

“I’m really excited to start furthering the partnerships we have with the city of Emporia because a lot of the time students will view our campus as its own little township,” said Tyler Huddleston, junior Spanish and communication major and newly-elected ASG president. “I think it will greatly impact the lifestyle that students have.”

President Michael Shonrock congratulated them after the announcement.

“Shonrock came up to us and said, ‘Congratulations and condolences,’” Huddleston said. “Congratulations for the presidency and condolences for all the meetings we have to attend this week.”

With the warning, Shonrock added a bit of encouragement.

“He said they were planning some really big things, so I’m excited to see what leadership he has in store,” Harmon said.

With their new positions, Huddleston and Harmon have experienced a countless meetings to gain knowledge through the governor and various other officials.

“We’ll spend most of the summer reading the policies in and out to make sure we understand them completely,” Harmon said.

In addition to meetings, they have started working with Rachael Countryman, current ASG president and senior communication major, and Marissa Germann, current ASG vice president and senior marketing major.

“This week has been the most fun because we can finally sit back and know it’s going to happen, instead of dreaming about it happening,” Huddleston said.

Huddleston and Harmon took advantage of social media to get their name out for the election. Huddleston said he was “super pumped” because he was able to change their Twitter account to an actual presidential account and can tweet about their transition.

“A web page and social media were our first step,” Harmon said. “Tyler ran the Twitter mostly, but we found an app that could schedule your posts, so we scheduled them for all the right days.”

With a Facebook page, and a Twitter account, the two relied on social media for approaching more students.

“I do think social media had a huge impact on our campaign,” Huddleston said. “Using that social media allowed us the opportunity to reach students where they were…rather than having to have them come to us.”
Harmon agrees.

“Twitter was the avenue that we could reach the most people without being in two places at once,” Harmon said. “I think it was essential to get our name out.”

Huddleston and Harmon will be sworn in office on May 18.