Scoreboard hits home run with students, community

• Nicole Wendling, senior business administration major, makes a drink April 15 at The Scoreboard. One of The Scoreboard’s most defining features is an old basketball scoreboard on the wall. (Nicholas Sumner)

Upstarting bar and grill The Scoreboard, 23 E. 6th Ave., is entering its sixth month in business this week. The bar and grill officially opened on November 16, 2013, down street from where Mr. Sister’s Sweets was located.

Nicole Wendling, senior business administration major, said The Scoreboard hosted an event where they streamed the Emporia State versus Washburn football game on their first day of business and have been hosting similar events ever since during football and basketball games.

“It was a big event,” Wendling said. “We did better than we expected on our first night.”

Garrett Breech, bartender, said The Scoreboard is usually packed during any major collegiate sporting events. Basketball games held at William Lindsey White Auditorium, across the street from the bar and grill occasionally fill the bar to capacity.

The Scoreboard also hosted its first live music performance last weekend. Manhattan-based country musician Dillon Ray performed a free show on Saturday night.

Wendling said Saturday night’s show was an experiment to see how live music will work at The Scoreboard, which proved to be a successful night for the bar and grill.

“It was one of our highest-grossing nights,” Wendling said.

Wendling said The Scoreboard also hosts events for ESU organizations, and has done so with groups such as the ESU Alumni Association and the School of Business.

The Scoreboard’s eponymous scoreboard was an old scoreboard for Northern Heights High School, recovered from the antique mall in town. The year the bar was established – 2013 – is programmed into the scoreboard, reading “Home – 20, Visitors – 13.”

The Scoreboard offers daily specials on top of their already growing menu. Wendling said the bar and grill has a wide variety of appetizers and entrees, and that the menu is “gradually being built along the way.”

“Sports bars kind of just come and go around here,” said Andrew Rutter, biology alumni. “I’d definitely like see The Scoreboard survive that, because it’s a really cool little bar.”

The restaurant offers sandwiches, burgers, wraps, salads and homemade malts, including “adult” malts, such as White Russian and Irish Coffee shakes. Wendling said the most popular items on the menu are the ever-growing list of appetizers. They introduced sriracha-infused chicken bites into their appetizer menu last month.

“We hope to draw in college students,” Wendling said. “But we hope to have The Scoreboard function as a family restaurant, as well.”

The Scoreboard opens at 11 a.m. Tuesday through Sunday and closes at midnight Tuesday through Thursday. On Friday and Saturday, it closes at two a.m. The sports-themed bar and grill has a staff of 22 people.