Filed under Columns

Awful Allergies

Bulletin-47_1600The season of spring is here again. It’s a bittersweet time of year with colorful blossoms and the annoying allergies we are all too familiar with. But as Emporia State continues to become greener with foliage, it might just be affecting your overall physical health.

Kate Weinberger, a PhD candidate in Environmental Health Sciences at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, claims that wet and warmer winters usually mean earlier and longer lasting allergy seasons with higher amounts of airborne pollen.

Trees being the main cause for springtime ailments, symptoms usually involve a runny nose, itchy eyes and sinus blockage. Seasonal allergies are notorious for paralyzing the body’s olfactory system or sense of smell. What most people don’t realize is that when your sense of smell becomes weaker so does the ability to taste and enjoy food.

It is extremely important now with finals less than a month away that students become ever aware and concerned about maintaining a healthy daily regiment whether it be exercising, taking the prescribed daily antihistamines, or just eating a nutritious well-balanced diet. According to ABC News, “Experts say using a neti pot, showering before bed to get rid of pollen particles on the body and keeping windows closed to keep out errant pollen particles are all key.”

I have even noticed some students wearing allergy masks or respirators as they walk to and from class. This can prove useful if you suffer from severe allergic reactions. No precaution is too great when it comes to sustaining your body’s physical health. Every decision you have ever made has affected your body in some way shape or form. Take some time every day to stop and reflect, “What can I do to make my life better, not only for myself but those around me?”