Filed under Softball, Sports Shorts

Softball goes 5-1 at home

After losing their first game to Central Oklahoma last Friday, the Emporia State softball team won the next five games in a row, taking down both Northeastern State and Central Missouri in doubleheaders.

The Hornets fell 3-2 in the tenth inning of their opener against Central Oklahoma before bouncing back with a 4-2 victory in the nightcap. Jessica Gragg, junior catcher, lead the Hornets to victory, going two for four with an RBI and a run scored. Eryn Stockman, freshman pitcher, only allowed two runs on eight hits.

Bouncing back Saturday, the Hornets would slip back into first place in the MIAA standings dominating Northeastern State 8-0 in game one and 5-1 in the nightcap. Stephanie Goodwin, junior outfielder, had an impressive night, going 4-4 with two runs scored.

ESU would continue the momentum into this week, winning both games of the doubleheader against the Mules of Central Missouri. The Hornets held the Mules to three runs, while they scored eight in game one. The nightcap would go down to the final innings as the Hornets scored five runs in the bottom of the seventh to take game two 8-7.
The Hornets finish the regular season with another doubleheader against Southwest Baptist this Saturday at the Trusler Sports Complex.