Search for VP of administration, fiscal affairs continues

Numbers of candidates narrows to three

After beginning a search for a new vice president of administration and fiscal affairs early this semester, the search committee narrowed down the candidated to three finalists. Ray Hauke, current vice president of administration and fiscal affairs, will be retiring after 16 years at Emporia State on June 1.

Darrell Morrison RGB

Darrell Morrison, Vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Arkansas

Diana Kuhlman, Associate vice president for fiscal affairs and budget director at Emporia State University

Lindsey Bartlett, Associate vice president for fiscal affairs and budget director at Emporia State University

“I work with…many of the behind-the-scenes operations – budgeting, accounting, HR (human resources), facilities, parking, those kinds of things,” Hauke said. “I also work with several committees.

Hauke said his favorite memories of his time at ESU were working with the new student rec center in 2001 and the Memorial Union renovation beginning in April 2010, which was a 23 million dollar project. When he retires, he plans to continue to reside in Topeka.

“I’ve always enjoyed working with Ray,” said Gwen Larson, assistant director of Marketing and Media Relations. “What I’ve always appreciated is he can explain the financial in terms that I understand.”

A search committee was formed to find a replacement for Hauke.

The search committee consists of Jim Williams, vice president for student affairs; Mary Mingenback, university controller; Mike Erickson, associate vice president for Information Technology; Karla Ingold, accountant in University Facilities; Bobbi Pearson, director of facilities planning; Kristie Ogilvie, dean of the School of Business; Bob Warren, representing the ESU Foundation and Ray Lauber, assistant director of Human Resources.

Williams, who has experience working with Hauke, was appointed by President Michael Shonrock to be chair of the committee.

“Many of the complex business activities associated with the Division of Student Affairs are coordinated in partnership with Mr. Hauke,” Williams said.

The open position was announced on Jan. 27, and the review of applications began on Feb. 24. Originally, there were 35-40 applicants, Williams said. Some qualities that the search committee looks for include: a record as an accomplished fiscal administrator, superior leadership and management skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and excellent interpersonal communication and team building skills.

Last Friday, two of four final candidates for vice president of administration and fiscal affairs were announced.

Darrell Morrison, vice chancellor for finance and administration at the University of Arkansas, withdrew his candidacy for personal reasons.

Diana Kuhlmann, associate vice president for fiscal affairs and budget director at ESU, will have an open forum today from 2-3:15 p.m. in the KSN Room in Memorial Union.

When each candidate visits campus on their respective days, his or her schedule includes several meetings with various staff members, an open forum, a campus tour with student ambassadors, a tour of the city of Emporia, and dinner with Shonrock.

The next two finalists will be announced tomorrow and will have their forums next week.