English Department begins hunt for journalism professor

The English Department is on the prowl for new professors, specifically a new journalism professor and a new literature professor.

The approval for this request from Marie Miller, dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and David Cordle, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs, happened relatively quick, due to the sudden resignation of two faculty members, Miller said.

“Normally, we do not do a search at this late of a date because the prime time for new faulty is in the fall,” Miller said. “By the time you get to January or February, in some cases, it’s almost too late to hire. The English faculty felt very strongly that they could do a search at this short time period, and because of the market…we felt very comfortable that we could get it done and that they could do a quick search.”

The faculty met on April 10 to discuss the hiring. On April 12, Mel Storm, interim chair of the English Department, circulated an email ballot to receive feedback from the members in the department to determine which professor request should be submitted first. The vote was due April 14. Faculty decided that a new journalism professor was top priority.

“There really is a need because the journalism program supports (the) general education (class) JO 200, which is Mass Communications,” Miller said. “And that’s a very, very popular general education course, and right now we can only offer three or four sections.”

By April 15, the request was approved to begin the search for a new journalism professor. On April 17, the request was approved to search for a new literature professor. Miller said the English department planned it out well and presented their case well.

“We’re very happy that this can be done,” Miller said. “We’re grateful that they can have the search. Hopefully, they’ll come up with some good candidates.”

The request to begin the search for new staff was submitted on April 18, and was quickly approved due to the administration recognizing the severe need for more staff.

“We need someone to assist with the journalism program, and we’re also looking for somebody with expertise in working with the BSE in journalism,” Miller said.

The department is looking for a literature professor who can teach a wide range of classes that may include early, medieval or restoration literature subjects.

The journalism professor will aid in the teaching of lower to advanced journalism classes and potentially advise clubs and majors dealing in journalism.

“We’re looking for someone who can teach a wide range of subjects,” Storm said.

Storm said that they hope they will receive applications before the end of May.

“We will welcome our new staff members sometime during the summer,” Storm said.