Filed under Staff Editorials

Walking Dead Week

Staff Editorial

• (Donovan Elrod)

Dead week is rapidly approaching. And we’re dreading it more than finals week.

Originally, dead week was created in order to give students a breather and time for them to prepare for final exams. It serves as a time on campus when the bustling atmosphere starts to trickle, and students are normally cooped up in their dorm rooms, apartments or the library cramming a full semester’s worth of information into their heads.

Now, it’s just a week from hell for Emporia State students.

Lately, the papers, exams and last-minute projects that teachers are assigning seem to pile up, even more than usual, during dead week. The agenda for teachers, especially in general education or elective classes, is to give a project or a take-home exam, due during dead week, and not to meet at all during finals week.

Some teachers are not even giving students sufficient time to work on these projects, assigning us projects or papers the week before dead week.

For most of us, finals week is a breeze, with all lengthy assignments turned in, full days without any tests and then one or two traditional finals thrown in. We can nap, study a little bit and then nap again. And maybe our finals will be done, say, May 14, instead of May 16. While this eliminates some of the in-class exam pressure and may get us back home for the summer sooner, it sure doesn’t make the week before finals any easier.

To all the professors and instructors at ESU: Listen to the students voices as we cry out in misery in these final weeks of the semester. Assigning us a giant paper, portfolio, exam or project that is due or takes place during dead week instead of having a traditional final isn’t saving us any stress. It’s just creating more.