Filed under Columns

You’ve Got a Friend in Roommates

Connor Delaney“Who the hell are you?”

If you’ve ever lived in the dorms, this has probably run through your mind on move-in day. The stranger in the bed next to, above or below you is your new roommate – someone you have the pleasure of spending time with and getting to know. Whether they’re tall and gangly with a finger up their nose, or short and a bit chunky with the humor of a piece of cardboard, roommates are always a luxury to have.

Though you may not like your roommates at first, it’s important to get to know them and find something you can do together. I didn’t talk much to my roommates until I discovered that they’re both great people and even better friends.

Though I had a class with one, it wasn’t the reason we became close. Our curiosity of what the other person thinks, feels and likes doing drove us to develop a lasting bond. The other roommate, I discovered, had a whimsical sense of humor similar to mine. I could easily talk to him about everything, from the cartoons of our youth to funny nonsense we find on the Internet.

Though I didn’t think much of them at first and, of course, had presumptions about them before I actually took the time to know them, I consider the time I’ve spent with them irreplaceable and dear to me.

It’s a privilege to be able to live with someone we have no prior knowledge of and develop a friendship built upon laughs, good times and a few inappropriate jokes here and there.

Get to know your roommates. If you haven’t already, there is still time. Nothing bad can come out of getting to know the person you live with. Participate in things they enjoy and encourage them to do the things you enjoy. They may introduce topics you’ve never thought about before. Become mates, share a drink and get to know one another.

Here’s to you, Nova and Jun.