Filed under Hornet Life

What do students want to see at The Granada?

After the recent T-Pain concert at the Granada Theatre, students are already anticipating the next big act to come to Emporia. The Bulletin surveyed 100 students to see what acts they would like to see at the Granada.

Over 600 people attended the T-Pain concert on March 29 and the event cost over $15,000. The Granada has not announced plans for a concert from another higher-level performer any time soon, but students are already anticipating the next big show.

Among the 30 musical acts that students voted for, the band Coldplay was found to be the act that most students wanted to see live at the Granada.

“It would be cool to see Coldplay here,” said Emily Giffin, freshman health promotion major and a previous staff writer for The Bulletin.

Hip-hop proved to be a very popular genre among students as over forty percent of those surveyed voted for a hip-hop artist. Tech N9ne was found to be the most wanted hip-hop artist and second most wanted musical act overall among the students surveyed.

“I’d like to see Tech (N9ne) here, for sure,” said Christian Salazar, freshman art major.

Other hip-hop artists that students said they wanted to see included Snoop Lion, Jay-Z, MC Chris, Watsky, MF Doom and Danny Brown.

Hip-hop and pop acts were more popular among students, but many students voted for indie and alternative bands. Lindsey Kunkel, senior health promotion major, said she would like to see more alternative rock bands perform in Emporia.

“I’d love to see Red Hot Chili Peppers play at The Granada,” Kunkel said.

Some musicians that students said they wanted to see included artist that incorporate other things into their performance, such as rapper and slam poet George Watsky. Loop musician and comedian Reggie Watts was also mentioned by students surveyed.

“I’d like to see (George) Watsky, for sure,” said Shane Garrison, freshman accounting major.

Other bands and musicians mentioned by students in the survey included The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons, Lorde, The Flaming Lips, Sleigh Bells, Warpaint, Purity Ring, Fleet Foxes and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Christian Salazar, freshman art major, said he’d “for sure” like to see Tech N9ne

“I would really like to see Jay-Z perform at The Granada,” said Inwoo Cheong, freshman communication major.

Arisvet Hernandez, junior communication major, said she would be interested in more hip-hop shows.

“It would to cool to get MC Chris here,” said Austin Schopper, senior secondary education English major and a previous staff writer for The Bulletin.

1 Comment

One Response to “What do students want to see at The Granada?”

1. Jessica Sichel on April 25th, 2014 8:48 am

I can’t believe that Mumford and The Black Keys didn’t get nearly any votes!! Those are musical groups that All of Emporia might enjoy!

*