Seniors celebrate years of hard work, dedication

• Ethan Platt, senior art and music major, gets his hands dirty while tie-dying a shirt for Senior Week on Monday afternoon at Wilson Park. (Jennifer Pendarvis)
  • Volunteers of ESU Ambassadors and senior students mingle over pizza and soda and prepare for the tie-dye event held on Monday afternoon at Wilson Park. (Jennifer Pendarvis)

Going out with a week of fun, Emporia State seniors are spending the week participating in events to get pumped up for graduation and to celebrate the four or more years spent to get to this pivotal moment in their lives.

“The first event of the week is the tie-dye barbeque where seniors can come pick up their senior week T-shirt and tie-dye them,” said Emily Vogt, junior elementary education major.

The tie-dye event took place on Monday, where approximately 45 seniors came to enjoy some free food, fun with friends and talk about their future plans.

“I’m going to try and get a job, start paying off student loans, but I’m definitely not going to settle for anything I don’t absolutely enjoy and love doing,” said Benny Bowden, senior digital-audio recording major.

A résumé review took place Tuesday, where college students could ask job search questions and make sure they were presenting themselves correctly. “The Breakfast Club” was shown last night in Webb Hall, with free soda and popcorn.

The Newberg Senior Banquet will be held from 6-8 p.m. in the KSTC Colonial Ballroom in the Memorial Union tonight, and has a $20 fee. After the banquet, seniors have the chance from 9-11 p.m. to go to Bruff’s Sports Bar and Grill, 2640 W. 18th, for a night of games, prizes and 90s music.

“(Seniors) will want to come to that one because they can win all the prizes,” Vogt said.

The prizes for that particular day range from a 32” TV to a vacuum.

Senior Week was organized by Emily Vogt, Ashley Lucas and Nikki Metz, who is the ESU Ambassadors adviser. Planning started as soon as June of last year.

“It’s been a lot of preparing, for sure,” Vogt said.

According to Lashae Castel, senior communication major, the week will be a great ending to a wonderful college career.

“It’s a great university, and I’m glad I’ve gotten to spend some time here,” Castel said.