Recreation students host free tournaments

• Ace Mayze, freshman health promotion major, fishes a stray frisbee out of a pond Friday, April 25 at Jones Youth Recreation Park. Mayze and and his friends participated in a disc golf tournament organized by students in a sports management class. (Will Austin)
  • Ace Mayze, freshman health promotion major, closes in on a target during a disc golf tournament Friday, April 25 at Jones Youth Recreation Park. The event was free and exclusively for Emporia State students, faculty and staff. (Will Austin)

Last Friday’s sunny weather was perfect for spending the afternoon outdoors. Even though it was windy, participants of Emporia State Recreation Service’s intramural disc golf tournament weren’t stopped.

This year, Whitney Slater, assistant director of Recreation Services, had her sports management class organize the disc golf and table tennis tournaments. Half of the class did one, and half of the class did the other. Part of the goal of the class is to learn how to plan a tournament.

The students who put together the tournaments found that there was quite a bit to do in order to prepare.

“We had to send out the flyers and everything, had to make sure the park was open, you know, promote people and all that kind of stuff,” said Mitchell Foote, sophomore recreation major and one of the event’s organizers. “It was all a good project.”

They agreed that promoting the tournament might have been the hardest part.

“We had to come up with a marketing plan, how we were going to attack campus pretty much and let everyone know about it,” said Sarah Bender, sophomore recreation major and another one of the event’s organizers.

Bender said they posted flyers around campus, made a BuzzIn announcement, had a table in the Memorial Union and used social media to get the word out.

The disc golf tournament had more than 30 participants, which was an improvement from last year’s 10. It ended up being split into two divisions – one for the large amount of football players who participated and a regular division, including a men’s portion and a women’s portion.

Held on the west course of Jones Youth Recreation Park, the course included 18 holes, taking players roughly two hours to complete.

The women’s division only had two participants, and Natalie Hoernig, senior psychology major, claimed the championship title, only having played disc golf once or twice before.

“Today was really hard because of the wind, so that didn’t help,” Hoernig said.

Winning the men’s division in just 50 strokes was Casey Atchison, junior recreation major. The champions each received an “intramural champion” t-shirt.

The table tennis tournament will be held at 6 p.m. today in the Student Recreation Center.