Filed under Staff Editorials

Staff Editorial

• (Donovan Elrod)

Our adviser is a badass.

Max McCoy, associate professor of journalism and adviser to The Bulletin, was not only named the 2013 Distinguished Adviser for Four-Year Newspapers by the College Media Association, but he also has helped us get through a tough year of transition, with a change in editors and a complete redesign, as well as a switch in printers.

And we’re eternally grateful for that.

He’s the author of the “Indiana Jones” series, has been interviewed for the History channel and won the Spur award, not once, but twice, from the Western Writers of America.

He answers our senseless questions on production night, like if he would rather be a cat or a dog, but also helps us learn how to be professional in this field of study. He listens to us when we are at our wit’s end, and knows that we don’t mind him when he gets “barky.”

But mainly, we learn from him through his professionalism. Max refuses to critique stories that he has been a source in, even after they are already published. We’ve been in tough situations with reporting before, and he has talked us through it. He is a true journalist and doesn’t give up – on us or on stories.

While he may put up a tough front, and some may even call him intimidating, those that work closely with him at the newspaper know that he is simply a friend, a mentor and a role model. We owe our success to him.

So thank you, Max. You’re truly one in a million.

1 Comment

One Response to “Max-a-Million”

1. Czarli Rex on September 19th, 2014 3:18 am

Well said! And great pic!